Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu (LBUS) is located in Sibiu, capital city of the county bearing the same name, as well as historic capital of the German territory, former seat of Transylvania governors during the Habsburg period. While there is a long history of higher education in the city, the university regards itself as a “new” university having been founded in its present guise in 1990 in Romania.
LBUS is defined as a teaching and research institution and currently comprises nine faculties, 17 000 students and over 1000 academic and non-academic staff. The LBUS have a comprehensive educational offer, ranging from computer science to social sciences and humanities doubled by intense research activities. LBUS managed to create an advanced international profile; it is the only Romanian university having an Erasmus Mundus program ongoing.
The main objectives of LBUS are: to contribute to the advancement of the scientific research; to improve the quality of the educational process; to promote and develop strategic partnerships with private and public entities -nationally and internationally; to actively contribute to the social and local development. The regular activities of LBUS consist on specific actions made in order to achieve the above specific mission and objectives -teaching, research, career guidance for students, career development for teacher, establishing and developing of partnerships for education research and development. The usual sources of financing are: public/national budget, public and private research and development funds, tuition fees. The Department of History, Restoration and Protestant Theology have a prominent profile of research in the museum studies area and an outstanding portfolio of nationally and internationally founded projects. The LBUS is having an internal quality control system, doubled by officially Romanian Agency for Quality in the Superior Education System (Aracis).